City Cruise into The Semi Final

A brace from Rob Hutchings, along with singles from Scott Jones, youngster Ethan Enders, Sam Ndlovu and Josh Clack saw City thump Mile Oak out of the cup in what was a fine display by the home side, seeing Chi return winning ways.


City started well, with Clack delivering the ball to the back post, Ndlovu headed to Rory Biggs who set up Scott Axell, with Chi’s captain seeing his shot go narrowly wide, in what was a clever team move.

Jordan Matthews was called into action, pulling out a smart stop to deny Adam Dine. Jones then had a golden chance to be first on the scoresheet, but saw his left footed effort go wide when one on one with the visiting keeper, Bako Xhemal.

Next, the impressive Biggs was denied by Xhemal and a last ditch stop, with Ndlovu having a shot blocked, sandwiched in between the efforts, as Chi pushed for an opener.

A moment of magic by Clack and Jones saw the deadlock broken. The winger pulled out the tricks to beat his marker, playing the ball across the six yard box where the deadly striker flicked it in.

Ndlovu, who was bright throughout, then went on a mazy run and was only denied by another smart stop from the busy Xhemal.

Jack Stenning went onto find Craig Anderson, but the visitors were denied an equaliser by the ever impressive Matthews in the Chi goal.

That save proved crucial, as in the 25th minute, Hutchings bagged his first, curling an effort into the corner of Xhemal’s goal, after intense pressure from the home side.

Hutchings and Clack showed great understanding, linking up, with Clack being denied a goal after a double save from Xhemal.

Terrell Lewis, who has impressed this season, found Clack, who in turn found Jones, with the usually clinical striker overhitting his first touch and Xhemal scrambled out to collect the loose ball. Clack had another chance before half time, but the stubborn Xhemal stood firm again.

Half time: Chi 2-0 Mile Oak

Hutchings didn’t have to wait long after the restart for his second. After a give and go with Ndlovu, the powerful playmaker provided a fine finish.

Biggs continued to shine, setting up Ndlovu, who magically turned, but his shot blazed just wide, much to the frustration of Chi’s number 11.

The returning George Way then provided an assist, with fellow substitute and youngster Enders heading home, for City’s fourth of the game.

Lewis, a fan’s favourite, next went on a determined burst and was denied by yet another top drawer save from Xhemal. Without him, the score could have been akin to rugby.

There were two much deserved late goals, firstly from Ndlovu after quick feet from the winger, and a late tap-in for Clack, from a great delivery from Lewis.

City are back at the Countrywide Gas Stadium this Saturday as they face Lancing at 3pm.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s